Linguistic Research

Glen's first linguistic data collection trip took place this last week.  The trip took 16 hours of travel, required a lot of driving on dangerous mountain roads, cold days and nights, painstaking audio recording, and a lot... of... waiting... since life in the villages of Nepal is full but slow.  I met many friends, ate lots of good food, drank more tea than I care to admit, and marveled at the skill and strength of the locals that is required to live in these places.  I met one young man who had walked several hours to the village from an even more remote village carrying his grandfather on his back to get him to a health clinic.  I passed many women in their late sixties and seventies carrying baskets full of wood, rocks, and grass.  The skill in fire building that I witnessed bordered with the magical.  Could I live in this place?  I think not.  But am definitely looking forward to going back. 

First view of the village where I gathered linguistic data.

Looking across the valley from the village at cowsheds, terraced fields, and
houses.

Walking to a mother-tongue speakers house to gather data
spend the night and experience the legendary hospitality of
Nepalis



Comments

  1. I'm pretty magical with a lighter and a little white gas. Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts