Rangi-changi

Sorry it's been so long on the blog.  I have a few posts ruminating, but the travel of this last month hasn't been conducive to nailing down my thoughts.  So, here goes...

Rangi-changi is the Nepali word for multi-colored, or colorful.

I had fun talking with some other expat women this summer about how our taste in clothing has changed since moving to South Asia.  We are absolutely swimming in a sea of vibrant colors here.  Even in that first year I was buying pink florals for the first time since middle school.  I find I now actually prefer paisleys and ornate patterns to stripes and solids - quite a departure for me.  I'm even starting to like a little "bling" woven in.  Here's an accidental shot of my lap last week that made me laugh when I saw it - the umbrella, the bag, the wallet, and the skirt would all have been much plainer in my past life.


It applies to housing decor, as well.  When we moved to India, I picked up a set of purple and orange linens (yes, they came as a set, in purple and orange) in my first hurried shopping trips, before I knew where we'd be living.  When we moved into our house, the kitchen was decorated with orange, red, and black cabinets, and pink and gray tiles.  I've since painted over a few of those colors, but I'm still not sure you could say there's a theme.  So when it came time to pick up some new kitchen linens in Kathmandu this summer, I felt free to be as rangi-changi as I wanted.  I love these:


Maybe some of you can talk me down when we're in the US next year, before I buy any of those kurta suits with the little mirrors sewn on...




Comments

  1. You can only buy a mirrored kirta-skirt if you buy me& Eowyn one too! ;) Seriously I love the linens... though I always chuckle at the CRAZY non-matching outfits my Indian & Korean friends dress their kids in at our local storytime!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts