My guitar pick-up







Having a guitar in India is a little bit like having a pick-up truck in the U.S...people will want to borrow it. I did not actually come to India to be a wedding singer, but last week that's exactly what I was. A Hindi and English speaking Nepali friend of mine married a bona fide Irish lady. You might say "those two can get married, but where will they make their home?" and apparently the answer is, "Kalimpong." Kanchenjunga showed itself the whole day from morning to night, a rarity. Even in this dry season it is often hidden behind clouds by 11:00 a.m. I was paid in "Butter Masala Chicken" currency which was more than enough compensation especially when you consider the two cakes shipped all the way from Delhi by train the day before. During the wedding the following lost-in-translation conversation occurred between the bride's mother and my eldest son. The former was speaking Irish-English, and the latter, 4-year-old American expat English which is a distinct dialect

Irish Mother: "Ha' OL-dya then?"
Glen Interpreter: "She wants to know how old you are."
Graydon: "char BAR sa" (Neplai for 'four years')
Glen Interpreter: He said "four years" in Nepali
Irish Mother: "Wot-sya name then?"
Glen Interpreter: She wants to know your name
Grayon: GRAY-den! (almost screaming as he gets asked this 100 times a day)
Glen Interpreter: Graydon








Comments

  1. My goodness you have a couple of cute boys! And another little person getting cute and big in Mama's belly! Nice transcription of the Irish, and I love that Graydon was answering in Nepali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too fun! And hoooow interesting! Graydon's repsonses are better than Isaac's when he's had too much...which is usually just, "No! I don't want to."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts